The Press officer is responsible for the development and execution of a comprehensive political communication strategy for the EGP, and for strengthening the EGP’s coverage in traditional media especially ahead of the 2024 European Elections’ campaign. The strategy will be developed in coordination with the Campaign Manager and the digital team and will aim to Identify the best communication and dissemination tools to maximise the outreach, while guaranteeing the consistency of the Party’s message across all communication tools.
S/he is responsible for the daily press work and the coordination of the classical media communication within the EGP.
The Press officer liaises on a daily basis with the Brussels media and with national media in cooperation with our member parties. The press officer will translate Green politics into images, messages and other means of communication that enhance the profile of the European Green Party and strengthens the profile of its two Co-Chairs and of the Candidates for the European Elections.
The Press officer reports to the Secretary General and the Head of the Communications unit. S/he will report also to the Campaign Manager in campaign times.
1. Strategic tasks
- Developing and executing a comprehensive political communication and campaign strategy for the EGP ahead of the 2024 elections together with the Campaign Manager and the Comms Team;
- Exploring innovative ways to engage with the press to strengthen the visibility of the EGP;
- Advising the Secretary General, the Co-chairs, the Campaign Manager and the head of communications on strategic press issues;
2. Press work
- Monitoring European media and proposing reactions, content and lines;
- Drafting press releases, news articles and other content, including in cooperation with the EGP member parties when relevant;
- Responding to media inquiries;
- Organizing press presence during EGP missions and events;
- Organizing and coordinating press conferences and similar media events;
- Creating a network and maintaining contacts with the Green national press officers;
- Building and fostering contacts with classical media and key media actors (especially Brussels-based)
- Strengthening and supporting the EGP’s European campaign activities;
- Strengthening the profile of the Co-Chairs of the EGP and of the EU elections’ candidates
Required qualifications and professional experience
- Candidates must have at least a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma, or
- Where justified in the interest of the service, professional training of an equivalent level;
- In addition, and subsequently to the diploma, minimum of three years of professional experience in the press and communication sector;
- Professional experience in an international environment;
- Sound political judgement and good knowledge and understanding of the European Greens’ set of values and policies;
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Previous work experience within national Green parties or the European Green family;
- Previous work experience in political campaigning;
- A very good knowledge of EU politics, policies and institutions;
- A very good knowledge of European media sphere;
Required knowledge of languages and communication skills
- Near-native level of English; additional languages are an asset;
- excellent proven writing and communications skills;
- proven ability to craft effective political messages;
- Ability to synthesise and communicate complex information to diverse audiences;
- Good understanding of digital media and social media;
- Excellent networking and social skills;
- Candidates must be proactive, able to react quickly and develop their own ideas;
- High availability and flexibility are also required;
Apply for this job
Send the following items to email@example.com while noting “Vacancy – Press Officer” in the email subject-line:
- A CV of maximum 2 pages
- A cover letter of maximum 2 pages
- One or two samples of writing from your portfolio.
The deadline for receiving applications is 27th January 2023. Should you need more information kindly contact our Head of Communications Unit, Valentin Dupouey at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0485 93 99 26.
- The selected candidate will be hired on a full time (38 hours / week) fixed-term contract until July 2024 with possibility of extension and flexible working hours.
- An opportunity to learn and grow through professional training and development.
- An opportunity to participate to the development of an exciting European Elections Campaign
- An international working environment with passionate and progressive colleagues as well as the possibility to travel frequently
- The chance to be part of a movement that is advancing social justice, human rights, democracy, rule of law and the protection of our planet
- A competitive salary and benefits package
We value diversity and welcome applicants from any underrepresented ethnic origin, age, gender, colour, religious belief, disability or sexual orientation. Please indicate in your application if this applies to you and you feel comfortable saying so.